Saturday, April 4, 2009

One thing my mother always told me

"You could do anything if you put your mind to it."

And she's right.

My latest project at their place was replacing an entire electrical circuit from the fuse box all the way out to the outlet.

I have no formal training in being an electrician. I do have an electronics engineering degree, but that's a little different. I've got the skills to build a modular synthesizer using parts from the local Radio Shack, but I'm nearly clueless when it comes to wiring a house. It simply was not my field of study.

Still I was able to, after some thought, snake a length of Romex - 12 through the attic, down the wall on one end and connect it into the fuse box on the other. Installed new outlets as well. All said and done, everything is working great. I did have to reset everything that had a clock on it, but that was the easy part. Every thing is working just as well as it did before and my folks are happy.

This also comes a week after repairing the refrigerator. Which is something else I have no formal training in.

The thing is, when life throws something you don't know what to do with at you, learn about it. Take care of it yourself before finding someone to do it for you. Especially when you don't have the cash for a professional. Seriously, I saved my folks a ton of money recently. But study up on it. Remember, that professional is a human being just like you and if they can learn how to do something, so can you.

No comments: