Saturday, September 11, 2010

I bought some new music, let's review it!

One of the main things I go to DragonCon for in recent years (besides the scantly clad girls) is the music. And it seems every year there's more and better bands. Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

I picked up 3 CD's at DragonCon this time around - Dying and Falling from I:Scintilla, Hate Lives In a Small Town from Voltaire, and Celldweller's self-titled album.

OK, ladies first. Well at least the band that's fronted by a lady first. I was trying to explain I:Scintilla's music to my father. Normally I don't discuss music with him because to him The Rolling Stones were the greatest band that ever and will ever exist, but their frontwoman, Britney Bindrim, is related to one of my dad's oldest friends. I:Scintilla is kind of a mix of metal, punk, and electronica with rather amazing vocals. Britney has some serious pipes and the drums guitars and electronics back her up quite nicely. If you are into metal or industrial, I suggest you look them up. If they are coming to your town, I suggest you see them. They put on a good show and I actually think they sound better live than on the CD. Speaking of the CD, Dying and Falling has a rather good mix of music on it. It's a great showcase of many of the things the band is capable of. There's a mix of fast and moderate, hard and light, guitar heavy metal and electronic. While I can't find a song on it I don't like, Ammunition has got to be my favourite. Also, the album art is pretty cool too. It's all paintings by Britney Bindrim.



Next up is an old favourite that did something unexpected and it turned out pretty cool. In fact when I heard of this album I actually thought it was a joke. Voltaire's latest album, Hate Lives In a Small Town, is a country album. I was talking to him about it at DragonCon after having heard a few of the songs he posted on Facebook. I thought it was good, but not what I would have expected, then I got to thinking some of his other songs did have a country feel to them. He even said a lot of his songs actually are or can be country songs. Honestly, I hate country music. Oddly enough, so does Voltaire. However the country music on Hate Lives In a Small Town is not modern country, but more old timey country. Think Johnny Cash. Now think Johnny Cash with Voltaire's warped and spooky sense of humour. That's about what this album is like. If you like old timey country and western, you will probly like it. If you don't like that, well, listen to it anyway, you may like it as well. If you like anything Voltaire has done in the past, you will like it. I enjoyed it and like I said, I hate country.



Finally, a band I never heard of before. They have been around a while, I just somehow missed them. Celldweller is a one man act, that one man being Klayton. Klayton is a very cool, very talented and very nice guy with a pretty damned impressive resume. I'm surprised I never heard of him. I've heard his music before and probly so have you. He's done a lot of work in T.V. and movie soundtracks. My girlfriend wanted their CD after we saw their live show at DragonCon. I wasn't about to tell her no, I wanted it too. The live show was just wow. A mix of very hard rock and pounding electronics with 2 really busy guys switching between keyboard, drums and guitars, singing and dancing all the way coupled with intense visuals on 3 screens. The CD provided more of the same, sans visuals of course. I'm glad I went to their show, more so that I bought their CD. If you like your music intense and aggressive with rock and classical influences, buy this CD. Seriously. If they (should I say he?) are touring anywhere near you, go see them. This is another CD that not only can I not find anything I don't like on it, I can't even find anything I can call my favourite, it's all that good.



So yeah that about covers my DragonCon music purchases. Just another reason I'm broke at the moment. And another reason for the Perseph - A - Thon. I know I haven't been making a post every day like I said I was, but I'm going to try to make up for that this weekend. Hope you enjoyed the music. I might be back later with a rant later on, watch for it.

No comments: