Monday, August 25, 2008

I have an idea

So of course I want opinions on it.

On my days off from the hotel I work as a substitute school teacher. I'm also working toward getting a degree in secondary education with a mathematics emphasis so I can teach full time. The degree in electronics engineering that I have just isn't good enough. I love teaching. It's just so amazing to see someone understand something, see them learn some thing new, see the lights come on as I refer to it. I do find it to be my calling in life.

I currently live in a bad neighborhood. I'm only here because the rent is cheap. The one good thing about the community I live in is that there is a neighborhood association and they are working make this a better place to live for every one. I thought of something I can do for the community. With the large number of children here that are attending public schools, I think it would be a benefit to offer low cost tutoring services. It gives me an opportunity to do that which I most enjoy doing as well as give back to the community. I will admit there is the ulterior motive of putting some cash in my pocket, but some of that is going to go toward supplies. Though I might be inclined to help the financially worst of families for gratis. I'd at least like to be able to use them for a reference when the time comes for me to teach full time.

I'm good friends with the head of the neighborhood association and I think he might just be able to help me get the word out.

Your thoughts? ideas? Criticism?

No comments: