Thursday, August 7, 2008

If you really want to anger me

Make a remark that insinuates that I don't work.

I'll admit, I have my moment when I am not busy (like now), but through out most of the night I'm kept pretty busy with guests. The there's that whole audit thing that I do.

Well one of my day shift people has gone and done just that. Made a claim that the auditors "don't do anything." I'm offended. I don't offend easy, but that is one thing that will do it every time. I work damn hard and more often than not go above and beyond. I'm actually going to see if she can be put on an audit shift, see how she likes it. Here's a list of things she can deal with.

  • Everyone leaves at 11pm. Housekeeping, valet, maintenance, restaurant are all looking to leave as soon as possible and everyone of them has a key to turn in. Back office gets real crowded real quick.
  • There is one old, slow valet overnight instead of the several that are here during the daytime. Guests will complain, lots of them. He also likes to sleep on the couch in the lobby or in his car. He needs be contacted him every time he is needed.
  • The desk usually gets rushed at about 11:10. I cannot explain this. It's usually a mix of late arrivals and people that need a room key. This rush generally lasts an hour. It usually happens when employees are turning in keys and trying to leave. They will not stay a few minutes late and help, don't ask.
  • At about the same time the switchboard will get overloaded with phone calls. Usually these are requests for stuff and wake calls. So answering calls, guests in front of you, and coworkers behind you all requiring your attention.
  • There is one maintenance worker on overnight, he usually has a list of things to do.
  • There are no housekeepers. Most of the time you can get the maintenance guy to run stuff up to rooms, but on busy nights you will have to make some runs yourself.
  • There is no bellman. Auditors usually have to function as bellmen.
  • There is no manager. Well actually there is - the auditor is manager on duty.
  • Guests will call all night looking for food. Restaurant and room service close at 11pm. Options for food are the 24 hour Mc Donald's, Denny's, Village Inn, and Waffle House. None of which deliver and the closest one is about a 10 minute drive. There is one pizza delivery that is open until 3am Thursday-Saturday. That's it, everything else is closed. This will anger some people, some will even want to talk to a manager.
  • The hotel is usually full of obnoxious drunk people on Friday and Saturday night. Just a warning.
  • In addition to all this, there is the audit itself. It ends up in a stack of reports a foot thick (sometimes 2 foot) and in that are several spreadsheets that are filled out by the auditor and a considerable amount of other data that is input into the property management.
  • While performing the audit, it's normal to find mistakes made by the day shift. The auditor fixes these mistakes.

That's a pretty typical night in the life. Also in overbook situations, the auditor usually winds up being the bearer of bad news. Bad news that comes in the form of telling a guest that had a reservation that they are going to be "walked" to another hotel. I think anyone can understand why I might get a little annoyed when someone says I do nothing. It's taken me nearly 2 hours to type this because of the nearly constant flow of guests to the front desk. Sure there are nights when I'm not so busy, but there's just as many or more where it's total balls to the wall.

No comments: