Tuesday, August 12, 2008

School starts in a week

Well here it does. Last year was good. I managed to score a long term position. Who knows what this year will bring. I haven't been able to afford another semester of college so I'm not certified to teach yet. No permanent position for me, just substitute teaching.

I know I will get there some day. I enjoy teaching and I believe it is what I was meant to do. I've been told I shouldn't be a teacher for a lot of really silly reasons - I'm not normal. I'm goth. I'm bi. I have gender issues. Yeah, whatever. I think some of those so-called problems make me the good teacher I am. I'm not like everyone else, I don't need to be. Besides, weird kids need someone to look up to.

The last experience I had was a good one and left me with good memories. The girl that wrote me the thank you letter at the end of the semester. The boy that drew me a picture of a VW Beetle. The students that I managed to turn around and make an improvement. The cutter that opened up to me that I wanted to help that ended up dropping out. That's one that really got me. Of all people to open up to, a lowly substitute. The class clowning that even I participated in. The kids I ran into at the MSI concert and at MetroCon. Good times. It was also a learning experience for me. I've taught at college. I've been a substitute teacher for 4 years now. But this was the first time I was in control of a high school class. Forced me to be more organized an plan things out. Also speaking to parents was a new thing for me too. Though I did have my bad days and some kids that made things difficult, the total experience made me want to teach more and let me know I was indeed ready.

I'm kinda excited about what this new school year may bring. Honestly, I can't wait to get back in the classroom.

No comments: