Saturday, July 18, 2009

I'm not planning on buying another Dell computer, you should not either

I used to like my Flamingo Pink Dell Inspiron 1420 Laptop, now I have become quite angry with it and it's manufacturer. I recently got a screen full of multicolored vertical lines at startup. Long story short - the video card has failed. According to Dell, the warranty has been extended for users experiencing this very issue as detailed here. However, I have been given nothing less than a run around with tech support. Every time I have called in the last week I have been told they are unclear on the warranty status and that they would look into it and call me back. They never call me back. It's always me calling them back and not getting a definitive answer even after telling them that the warranty was extended because of this specific issue with this specific video card.

I'm not pleased with this. They are supposed to fix it and I want it fixed. This is my first direct experience with Dell and I have to say it will be my last. I'm not the only one having this difficulty getting support. In the link above, there are quite a few people having this trouble, both with this video card and tech support jerking them around.

That being said, any recommendations on who to go through for my next laptop will be greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for something inexpensive that will last me a few years and will run my games (Particularly Eve Online) and will run Linux with minimal effort on my part. If pink or purple is an available color option, that would be a big plus.

No comments: