Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A public letter to Bank Atlantic

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend using Bank Atlantic, their customer service sucks as bad as their policies.

Dear Bank Atlantic:

Subject: Account Closing

On the morning of October 2, 2009, I found out that my checking account was closed. This was after trying to use my debit card and having it decline. I had just gotten paid that day and my paycheck gets direct deposited into my account. I was told at the local Bank Atlantic branch that my account was closed as of September 23, 2009 and that the deposit was returned to my employer. No one had told me previously that my account was closed. Had I known, I would have changed my direct deposit information with my employer. When I got to work, my pay stub showed that my check was deposited and the accounting department was gone for the day.


I needed this paycheck to pay my rent and my electric, and to buy groceries and a new pair of shoes. As the accountant at my work is tracking down my money, I'm running risk of accruing late fees, going hungry and walking in severely worn out shoes. I do not own a car and my feet take me most everywhere.


Because your representative at the local branch told me the deposit went back to my employer, I had to wait until today, Monday, October 5, to get it resolved. The accountant at my work contacted the payroll company, and I was informed that Bank Atlantic still had my money. I called the toll free number. The individual I spoke to did work on the case and did make an effort to resolve the issue to no avail. They ACH department had already returned the funds to my employer as of 9:00 am. It's a matter of waiting for the funds to clear and my employer to cut me a check at this point. However I was also informed by the representative I spoke to over the phone that I should have been informed of my account being closed and that when I was at the local branch on Friday, they could have released the funds to me then.


I'm rather upset. If I had been informed of my account being closed, I would not be in the bind I am in now. If your representative at the branch would have released the funds to me then instead of finding the quickest way to push me along, even after I stated that I needed the funds to pay my rent, I would not have a problem right now. I'm going to have to pay an additional $60 on my rent alone because no one on your side wants to offer any level of customer service. Even the man I spoke to on the phone seemed reluctant until I became rather upset and told him sorry does not make up for the late fees that could have been avoided. I will admit, I did overdraft my account. That was a major oversight on my part. However, I did correct that issue and had I known my account was going to be closed I would have corrected things on my side and you would not even be reading this right now.


It could have all been avoided. Why was I not told of my account being closed? Why did your representative at the local branch not do anything to help me? Why did I have to get upset with your representative over the phone to get help? Are you going to do anything about the late fees that could have been avoided had your people done the right thing?


It may seem like a moot point for me to say that I will no longer use your services after my account is already closed. I do want to let you know that I will be posting copies of this letter on every social networking medium that I use. People need to know about what kind of service they can expect from Bank Atlantic.

There you have it folks and as of the writing of this I am still without a paycheck. Please spread the word, I really don't wish this on anyone.

No comments: