Saturday, May 7, 2011

Catching up, multi blog, multi rant

Well for starters I was checking on the latest on the Chrissy Lee Polis case. If you missed something, she's the transgender that was beaten in a Baltimore McDonald's. I found this article.

Transgender advocates see McDonald's beating as a turning point

School kids call Catherine Hyde's teenage daughter "freak" and "pervert," or "homo." She's forced to change for gym in a closet and use the teacher's restroom.

Hyde knows her daughter, who was born male, has had it easy in a world where transgender people often lose their jobs, go homeless and suffer beatings.

Yet after a brutal assault at a Rosedale McDonald's on another young transgender woman, she sees hope. Hyde, and others in Maryland who've in the past failed to persuade lawmakers to enact a law designed to protect transgender people, believe the attack and the attention it's drawn to the state will finally spur action.

For starters, that's something no one should be forced to go through. It's like this individual, that looks like a rather attractive young woman to me, is being forced to live like some sort of a second class citizen if not a total freak because people just can't bring themselves to understand. Why is it that people cannot see that issues of gender and sexuality are not a simple black and white absolute? Is it really that difficult of a concept? Maybe I understand better because I have been living with it.

Secondly, Why did it have to take someone getting severely beat for there to be a "turning point"? If anything, I remember seeing transsexuals on the Phil Donohue show back in the 80's. I mean really, people should be used to and over this by now. Why does someone have to get beaten for the world, or at least the United States, to see that transgenders are people too? Well it did take a riot to get the gay rights movement started. And what's up with that? Are riots and beatings what it takes for change to happen?

I think Depeche Mode's People are People is in order here. Fucking won't let me embed.

In other unrelated news, my efforts to lose weight resulted in giving me a prime ass-kicking recently. I severely over did things this past Tuesday. Oddly enough, part of me wants to do it again. Maybe I'll step it down a bit.

In even more unrelated news, my financial woes are being worked through. I'll straighten it out. Then I'll fuck it up again.

Was there something more? Yeah, Mother's Day is coming up. So get your mom something nice.

I really had more in mind when I thought up the title of this.

No comments: