Tuesday, October 7, 2008

That will teach me to blog at the bus station

So I'm typing in this here blog. Actually, I'm typing in OpenOffice.org Writer because I can't connect to a wireless network. Anyway. A couple of guys come up to me and start asking about my bike. Questions like what did I pay for it and why so much. Modified high quality full suspension racing mountain bikes are not cheap. Then they started asking about my job. Then the one guy asked me if I could help him with bus fare. “Sorry, I'm barely making it to payday.” Then the same guy offers to buy this laptop that I'm using right now. I'm sorry, but my pink Dell is not for sale. I use it at home and both my jobs and I have some pretty important stuff on it at the moment. I said to him “It's not for sale.” So then he says to me “I'll give you $500 for it now.”
“Still not for sale.”
“But you need the money.”
“Not that bad I don't.”

So then his friend says to him “C'mon, he's straight, let's go.” They left me alone, but I was rather annoyed. I was getting the feeling that they were going to try to jack either my laptop or bike. I might have had to hurt them for that.

Really odd thing is, why would anyone that just asked for help with bus fare offer $500 cash for a laptop? And be pushy about it. Sure I could have sold it to him. I paid $600 for this back in January. So I doubt it's even worth $500. Just seems really dodgy to me. I should have asked him about it but I was happy he just went away.

No comments: