Saturday, December 6, 2008

Spelling and math ain't important no more.

In the last day I've received some news that rather annoyed me. From one of the math teachers that I work with I have been told that basic operations with real numbers has been removed from the curriculum as an essential learning. In all reality, they should know this by high school, but it should definitely still be required, especially in the lower level classes. I had students last year that could not multiply 2 single digit numbers without a calculator. Besides if they can't do basic functions with numbers (of any kind), how are they supposed to work with an abstract. Or understand more advanced concepts?

I had more distressing news last night. While I was spending time with some of my neighbors last night, one of them was also helping her daughter with her homework. We got to talking about the schools and I came to find out that spelling is no longer being taught. At least not on the middle school level. Like the wiseguy I am I said "well they have spell check on the computer so why bother?" But seriously, no spelling requirement in English? That's messed up at best. She was also telling me that when doing math homework she has to make her daughter work it out on her own instead of using the calculator like she learned in school.

I don't understand how schools these days are to prepare kids for anything other than flipping burgers and digging ditches. If it gets any worse, they may not be qualified to do that. I said it before and I'll say it again, if I had kids, I would homeschool them. The teacher mentioned above does homeschool her children. My neighbor is having me assist in her daughters education.

----------------
Now playing: Decoded Feedback - Night's Calling
via FoxyTunes

No comments: