Thursday, January 1, 2009

Not so happy new year

Well it's been a hell of a new year's eve.

I might have been able to get a ride home in the morning from my neighbor. But I declined. I have a feeling I'm going to be mad enough when it's time for me to leave that I'm going to need the bike ride to calm down.

I was pissed off about tonight a week ago when I found out I was working. When the sign-up sheet for the holidays was going around I only asked for new years eve off. Even put down that I would work every other holiday. They gave me Christmas off. And while that's nice that I got to spend it with my mother, I would have found time to do that anyway. I don't celebrate it really. Yeah I get into the whole giving thing, but that's about it. I'm an atheist. I have my doubts if Jesus Christ was even a real person.

So here's an account of my night as it happens. I started typing this just before midnight. It's 00:09 right now. I'm typing in between guests.

21:00
I clocked in was breifed by my manager on the evening. 4 arrivals left and every one of them was to be walked as all rooms were occupied. Shortly after we were down to 3 to come in and get told they would be staying elsewhere. Manager had to do his nightly property walk so that left me at the desk alone.

22:00
Got my first walk. A young lady and her boyfriend or husband, not sure what he was. She was nearly in tears when I told her. Been waiting a month for this. Worst part is the hotel that we are sending people to is right by where she lives.

22:20
Second walk. Guest was pissed.Demanded manager. So I got him. He proceded to spenmd the next 15 minutes screaming, shouting and arguing. All the good it did him, didn't make any rooms magically appear. I got to give my boss credit though. Man's got some serious patience.

Just after 23:00
I'm by myself again and the desk gets totally swarmed. Was able to get my manager to come up from the back office.

00:00
Happy new year! Was actually quiet at that point until the fireworks started. Shortly after the phones lit up. People looking for food, cabs, wake up calls. I had run up to a room to unclog a sink by releasing the stopper. Both myself and the security guard were busy running items up to rooms. I was getting a lot of complaints about things not being done or not being delivered when the guests first called hours ago. I can't get through to the cabs.

00:54
Someone called looking for breakfast type foods, I suggested Denny's.

01:30
All the valets went home except for the one. He's not enough at the moment. Now I'm helping him.

03:44
At this point I've kinda given up providing any kind of accurate log. I've been busy taking care of running more items to rooms, making ill-fated attemps at calling cabs, assisted security a few times and valet a few more times. I'm holding up ok. I am getting quite the work out.

04:09
It's slowed down some. I did just have to send a guest across the street to the Marriot for matches because we do not have any.

04:21
At this point I'm folding an labeling the express checkouts. It's probly going to be quiet at the desk for an hour or 2 then pick back up.

I'll close with this. I'm calling the Holiday Inn that I used to work at and I'm going to see if I can get my old job back or something of about the same pay scale. I look at it this way, if they are going to run this place like it's a Holiday Inn I might as well save myself the trip across the bay.

No comments: