Sunday, April 5, 2009

I think I need to read the Bible, again.

Yeah, you read that right.

My motivations are a little different though. I did read it when I was much younger and dismissed it as mythology. I still do and don't expect that to change. The reason why I want to read it again is because I have encountered a few Christians that have piqued my curiosity. Simply put, I want to know why some fundies are beyond wacky.

A recent spat with a few of the got me wondering. That spat can be found here. I had my world view and my sense of morality questioned. Oddly enough because I'm against abortion. It just doesn't make any sense why they would question someone that agrees with them. I wonder if I offered to assist them at a pro-life rally if they would turn me away. This quote is what really got me -

"So this is really it right here. Abortion ISN"T WRONG given YOUR worldview, some of us just make up this thing called "Morals" and say it is. So I can go rape people kill them and take their cars sell them for crack get high rape some more, get elected to congress rape some people, have goons kill them, get elected president, starve some third world people to death...rape some people etc and at the end of my life YOU have no philosophical basis to say I did anything WRONG because as you said morality is man made.

That's pretty frightening, and I shudder to think their are millions of intellectually bankrupt thinkers like yourself running around. Luckily I know martial arts to protect myself from morally baseless people like you when hard times hit. "


Now is it just me, or does that sound like the rantings of a total madman? Or am I the crazy one to say that human beings came up morals? Probably happened about when we started forming communities. And why couldn't mankind come up with such a concept on their own? I'm just thinking if we could figure out how to break free of our own planet's gravity and put one of our kind on the moon, creating a moral code should be pretty simple in comparison. I had to stop my conversation with him at that point, it became pretty obvious that I was dealing with someone that was the furthest thing from rational. I'm almost inclined to say he is an insult and an embarrassment to his alleged god and members of his faith.

But that is one of my curiosities is to understand how someone could go that far off the deep end. I would also like to find if I missed something. I want to find what ever it is that makes people believe every word literally. It boggles my mind that someone would accept that the universe came into existence from nothing at the will of some supernatural being in an instant, yet say that science is wrong. And just because a book says so.

I'll give it another read. If I find anything, other than complete and utter bullshit, I'll let you know.

No comments: