Friday, September 11, 2009

I can do damn near anything but heal the sick and raise the dead.

And be really afraid if I figure out how to do that.

So this morning after work I had to stop by my mom's house initially to fix my father's easy chair. When I got there, however, there were bigger issues to be contended with. The garage was flooded, one of the pipes had sprung a leak. Turned out to be the copper line that supplies cold water to the washing machine and utility sink. It was leaking just above where it comes up out of the concrete floor. I moved the washer out of the way for a closer look. The leak was coming from a rubber hose that connecting 2 pieces of copper line together. Seriously old and bad jury rigging on somebody's part, possibly my dad's, but at least they didn't use duct tape.

I removed the piece of hose and went up to the hardware store. To make a more proper repair and avoid having to solder (I can solder copper pipe, but old, used pipes are difficult to make a good joint) I picked up a Sharkbite coupler. Worked like a champ. Snapped together and no leaks. I did have to give the pipes a good cleaning and a fresh cut. Still a lot easier than soldering.

Just when I thought that was done, another leak. This time the valve where the washer connects. Easy fix, tightened the nut under the knob. Done.

That done, it was time to move on to why I was there to begin with. The chair. Last time my mom tried to move it to clean under it, it was hard to push. I flipped it over to find that the plastic bits on the bottom were worn off. Back to the hardware store. New Teflon discs on the bottom and it slides just fine.

What really sucked is that I ended up not getting back to my apartment until 15:30. Not happy about that. Nor am I happy about not being able to fall asleep soon enough. I'm only working on a few hours of sleep here and I'm on my way back to work at the time of writing this. This week has been quite busy since I got home from DragonCon. I'm not getting much in the way of “us time” with my girlfriend that has just moved in. Thankfully she's understanding, but still I feel awful. Just the way I am. I feel like a bad boyfriend/girlfriend because I'm not spending time with her like I feel I should.

No comments: