Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So do people really think that Stephen Colbert is serious?

Well some do.

Let me first say that this has little to do with my banning from theologyonline.com and a lot to do with people that don't know satire and just blatant sarcasm when they see it. I have never seen a Colbert monologue that was not totally dripping with sarcasm. It was pretty instant for me to see it was a parody the first time I watched him. I can't see anyone missing the joke. In fact, I think it's quite obvious with what I said in the thread linked above that I think one would have to be pretty stupid to miss the joke. If anything, he's got a show on Comedy Central. Do you take South Park seriously?

Then I saw this -



So maybe I just lean too far to the left. Hmmm. Bisexual, transgendered, atheist, vegetarian, aspiring entertainer and public school teacher does sound like the poster child for the left. Yet I always have voted libertarian, and I'm pro-gun, pro-life, pro-death penalty and I think education should be more privatized. But that's just me. I'm kind of a weirdo.

Getting back to Colbert, perhaps he should come with a warning or disclaimer. Like the coffee cups at McDonald's that say "HOT" all over them.

So you tell me, what's your take on Colbert? I think he's funny but would never seriously use him or his show in a religious, social or political argument.

No comments: