Saturday, November 14, 2009

But how badly could they have needed that roll of toilet paper?

So at about 12:45am I get this call from a really upset hotel guest screaming at me because the toilet paper she called the desk for 6 hours ago was still not delivered. As it was, I was by myself at the desk, had a guest I was checking in and 2 more behind them also needing my attention. I told them I was in no position to bring it to them and they would need to come to the desk to pick it up. I also apologized for the pathetic incompetence of my staff. Sadly, she actually needed me to explain to her where I am. They were not too happy about having to come get it. Not really much I could do for them at that point.

So after taking care of those that were already at the desk and the other one that needed the TP, my next step was to see which one on my worthless co-workers fucked up. Turns out that on the logsheet, it was written down that the guest had called, but no one filled in the space regarding who they talked to or signed off on it when it was completed. So I don't know if it was the dumbasses that are at the desk or the illegal Mexican that doesn't speak English in housekeeping. I'm not sure who dropped the ball. As far as I can tell there's quite a bit that went really wrong here, starting with the guest.

First, what kind of a moron calls a hotel desk for something, then waits 6 hours to call back looking for it when it is not there?

Second, what kind of a nitwit at a hotel desk writes it in the log, but doesn't write down who they spoke to or note that the job was completed? There were calls before and after that one. Did they not have enough sense to follow up? I know I have some total fucking dipshits here, but come on. If anything writing it down should serve as a reminder. Especially when you are writing more down. How do you miss that? As far as I can tell, it was never called in.

Finally, this gets back to the guest, but it's not really their fault. I doubt most people are aware that between the hours of 11pm and 7am most small hotels have one person on staff. That being said, that one person may not be available to jump at their beckoned call, no matter how badly the previous shift fucked things up. Honestly, I hate having to tell people I'm limited with what I can do for them. The other shifts have a full staff, all I have is me. I'm not always as available as I would like to be. It would have been smarter to call back before 11pm. Really, they should have waited no more than a half an hour.

So, I'm surrounded by idiots.

No comments: