Sunday, March 7, 2010

My father is in the hospital and for this I am thankful.

I know that's not something people are normally thankful for. Let's face it, I'm not normal, my family isn't normal either. It's not that I don't get along with my father. Or that he has driven me to near insanity by being a complete an total jerk. Or that he can be a real jerk to my mom at times too.

It's that it's the best thing for him really. And the best thing for my mom. She could use some time away from him. If anything, she won't have to wake up in the morning to cleaning up after him. Or her house smelling awful. things will get a bit less expensive for her too. No more TV constantly running. The heater will be on less. Less laundry. Less work, less cost and at least a little less stress.

So what's wrong with him? What isn't wrong with him? He couldn't get out of his chair and was in a lot of pain. He also had not been eating much over the past few days and last time he was at his doctor's office, his sugars were a little high. He's diabetic but he never tests his own blood sugar. At the hospital after they ran some tests, poked, prodded, whatever, they found that his kidneys are starting to fail, severe arthritis, and that he's got ulcers on his ass from sitting so much. He lives in his easy chair, BTW.

There's some other things going on. His legs are filling up with water. His varicose veins are bursting. He hasn't washed in weeks if not months. He's had a bladder control problem for years. He can't get around very well because his hip that was replaced never healed right. A lot of that is his own neglect of his health and personal hygiene. He's also got prostate cancer.

Yeah, he's got a lot of problems. I don't know if they can get him back to something closer to being healthy. If they could, it would be nice. Might make a better person out of him. But I've got about as much faith in that as I do in the holy spirit.

No comments: