Tuesday, September 21, 2010

This one's for the kids, well sorta

There's a few stories in the news lately that just make me want to give people a good, hard, unforgiving bitchslap. Maybe I'm starting to get old, but I keep finding myself more and more saying "What the fuck it this world coming to?" Seriously.

I'm going to start off by saying this, in no sense am I trying to tell anyone that may be reading this how to raise their child. I'm not a parent myself. I do have a goal some day of being a high school teacher and I currently substitute teach, so I do have a bit of an interest as I do work with children. I can't tell you how to raise your kid, I'm not sure about that myself. I can, however, point out things that are severely fucked up.

Now that I have that out of the way, here's the news story that got me started.

Girl, 6, thrown off squad over ‘booty’ cheer

So let me get this straight. Girl comes home and practices cheer, mom finds it way inappropriate, mom complains, gets a run around, mom goes public, girl is no longer allowed to cheer. Did I miss something? I have to say, I think the mother was in the right here. Congrats to her. Lets take a look at the cheer, shall we?

“Our backs ache, our skirts are too tight, we shake our booties from left to right!”

WTF? Now I'm not prudish in any way, but even I have to say that sounds at least a little suggestive. It's certainly not something I want to hear out of the mouth of a 6 year old. Why do we have 6 year olds chanting this? Who runs this squad? Pedobear?

It would seem to me that the right thing would have been to go with a cheer that would be more appropriate for 6 year olds, not something that might entice a pedophile. But what do I know? If I heard a 20-something say the same cheer I'd want to see her booty shaking in the tight skirt.

If that's not fucked up enough, the related stories that were linked annoyed me further. I got to say, it's rather disturbing. Little girls dancing rather seductively to "Single Ladies", 6 year olds in heels, and 8 year olds getting bikini waxes. What the fuck is this world coming to? Where does it stop?

Really? What ever happened to allowing little girls to look and act like little girls? Just a thought. The song "Girl Poison" by Angelspit comes to mind here.



Am I the only one that's finding this to be severely fucked up? Am I over-reacting? Let me know.

No comments: