Sunday, December 19, 2010

So DADT has been repealed. Is that a conservative I hear screaming?

Here's a news article.

I'm amused by the conservatives that are flipping out over this. The arguments seem to either center around battlefield distractions or showers. I wish I was making this up.

Now I'm not in the military, never been in the military and probly never will serve. Sometimes I think I should have, but at the age of damn near 34, I think it's a bit too late to change careers. I don't think I'm in a position to tell the military what it should or should not do. I also don't think the government, to an extent, should be doing such a thing either, honestly. Still, I do have an opinion and I see no reason not to voice it.

Let's start with the battlefield distraction argument. You got to be kidding me, right? I guess if your bigotry and your homophobia are more important to you than the oath you took when you signed up it could be. But if that's the case, who's the real problem? Is it the gay soldier that's doing his job or the soldier that refuses to put his differences aside? I'm just not seeing any other way a gay soldier could be a distraction. I mean it's not like they are going to leap out of their foxhole and put on a fabulous drag show in the middle of combat. Get the fuck over it.

The shower argument is even funnier. Most people that know me or read the crap I post in this blog know I spent probly too much time on a predominantly Fudementalist Christian conservative message board known as TheologyOnline.com. Sure enough, the shower issue came up right away in a thread about the DADT repeal. Now I asked my other half about the showers. I mean she was in the Army and served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Community showers are not the norm any more and haven't been for years. You see them in basic training and then you have barely enough shower time to get wet. There's no time for you to be ogled or to ogle anyone. Quit whining and get the fuck over it. You might see a community shower in a combat zone. But you actually do have a little privacy in it from what I hear and when you have spent the last few days sleeping in the dirt with out a shower, are you really going to be looking at anyone else? Are they going to be looking at you? I don't think so. Getting clean for the first time in a few days starts to get pretty damn important. They could probly do away with separate showers and I doubt anyone would notice. It's not like you really get a whole lot of shower time anyway. I'm going by what I have heard from someone who is a pretty reliable source so if I got this wrong, please correct me.

I'm not seeing the big deal and I honestly think that the conservatives are making a big deal over nothing. But I really don't give a flying fuck who anyone sleeps with as long as it's between consenting adults and no one is being harmed. As long as they are doing their jobs, does it really matter?

Anybody reading this rant have any thoughts?

No comments: